[hpsdr] Test Results of Strange AGC Behavior with PowerSDR for HPSDR

James ( Pete) Gaddie W6XX gaddie at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 12 16:49:48 PST 2011

I wrote a PDF format report detailing my test results and conclusions on
the PowerSDR AGC issues.  The AGC problems are essentially identical for
both PowerSDR- HPSDR and the current versions for Flex Radio.

  Since attaching a PDF file to a list message is not allowed, I am
listing just the first three paragraphs of the report below.   To get a
copy of the entire PDF file send an email request to
"gaddie at pacbell.net" .  The report is 5 pages and contains plots of the
measured AGC characteristics for HPSDR-PowerSDR W5WC, PowerSDR-Flex 1500
and for comparison an Elecraft K3.

First Three Paragraphs:

"I recently installed Power SDR, W5WC Version 1.19.3.2, Date: 12-31-10.
The setup is an HPSDR 3-board combination of Ozzie, Mercury and
Penelope. My computer uses an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM.  The
firmware versions are Ozy 1.7, Mercury 2.9, Penelope 1.2.

In listening to on the air HF SSB signals I noticed some audio
distortion and non ideal AGC behavior compared to listening to the same
signals on an analog receiver.  The AGC performance is better than with
the previous Power-SDR version but on my system it still leaves a lot to
be desired. In an effort to see what is happening I ran some test on the
Mercury board with stepped level and analog variable level CW signals.
I also did the same tests on a Flex1500 and an Elecraft K3.

The main conclusions are as follows. These apply to the latest PowerSDR
versions for both HPSDR and the Flex 1500. The AGC slope option is not
implemented properly.  The Hang-Threshold control does not work
properly.  If the Hang-Threshold setting is anything greater than zero,
for falling signals the hang and decay times are not invoked. At
Hang-Threshold settings greater than zero the AGC provides no gain
control on falling signals until the signal is interrupted or it reaches
a very low level. It behaves as if an infinite hang-time were invoked.
As there are interactions between these various setting there may be
other undiscovered problems.  The test methodology and results are
described in detail below."

73,

Pete W6XX