[hpsdr] win7 / usb tool / loading firmware into mercury / help needed

Georg Prinz getpri at t-online.de
Wed Feb 23 06:03:09 PST 2011

Hello Everyone,

first thank to all of you who helped looking for an USBIO driver. The
driver by K9TRV in repos_hpsdr_kiss works fine.

Here a web-page for a nice usb tool USBDeview at: www.nirsoft.net/.

It gives some more information on installed drivers. There are other
nice free tools on that web-page, too.

Together with Joe I was able to load my first mercury board with
appropriate firmware. Thank Joe!

Happy to be sucessfull I replaced the programmed board with my second
one with following effect:

- the altera USB-Blaster driver vanished and the OZY/Magister driver
popped up in the device manager.

- I deleted this driver

- installed the altera driver manually out of a list. I got the message
that an error occured but the device manager showed that it was
installed (this is an unsigned driver by altera 10.1sp1)

- running Program-mercury-EPCS16 from Joe I get the error: Programming
hardware cable not detected!

- investigating with USBDeview shows at Port 3, Hub 4 two drivers:
Altera USB-Blaster (VID#0x09fb VID#0x6001) and a Vendor Specific one VID
#0xfffe, PID 0x0007. Both are not connected!

When the USB cable is plugged in the ding-dong chime is heard and in the
device manager an unkown device appears (the altera driver is still
there under usb devices). Trying to install mannually the altera driver
by pointing to the altera usb driver folder it is said that no driver
was found.

My interpretation of this situation is, that OZY-board does not look
like an usb-blaster, but I am not able to run succsessful Joe's
usbblaster program.

I guess that this is a win7 subject.

So could anybody drag me towards a solution?

Vy 73,
Georg - dl2kp