[hpsdr] Penny PTT unkeying spike - T/R sequencing?

Tom Cathey k1jj at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 22:37:04 PST 2011

Good show, Phil - thanks for looking into it, OM.

Just to be clear, the sequencing I'm talking about is the internal timing
between Penny and Mercury, so that in PTT operation, Mercury mutes fully
before Penny comes on - and Penny shuts off completely before Mercury comes
back on. (Using current PSDR and firmware)  Or if duplex, the "shock" of T/R
transition is softened somehow, if that makes sense.

Not to be confused with external sequencing, where we time antenna preamps,
external linear amps, etc. I'm not talking about those functions here,
though they are important to those who use them.

It might mean adding a bit more delay in the software for Mercury to fully
shut off and vice versa. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Again, it COULD be my individual transceiver exhibiting this internal
sequencing noise, though a couple others see it too.

BTW, I typed Joe/K5SO's call wrong on the last post. Joe has patiently
helped me set up the diversity software as well as answer other HPSDR
questions. I have a thread going on another 2,000 member site that contains
my experience building this HPSDR system. It will help other SDR newbies,
like myself, to better understand the finer details from ESD safety to final
testing. I will post this link for the HPSDR archives when finished.

Thanks again for your help, Phil.

73,

Tom, K1JJ