[hpsdr] Penny PTT unkeying spike - T/R sequencing?

Tom Cathey k1jj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 16:36:42 PST 2011

One of the guys suggested I post some screen shots of the spike problem and
also pictures of the rig's layout. Hopefully someone might spot something
that has been done before.. :-)

Here's a thread I've been doing about the HPSDR project on another forum as
a learning experience for newcomers.  On page 8,  my last two posts contain
pictures of the spikes, images and rig layout.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php/topic,26512.msg201631.html#msg201631

The Atlas is grounded on the Pandora via the posts. Should I add ground
braid to various points?  I have the power supply about 6" away using
twisted pairs for the 12, -12 and 5v leads. I expect to use linear supplies
later, so did not mount the LHU piggyback. I have type 43 ferrite snap ons
on most cabling, though maybe type 73 would be better.  The USB cable has a
ferrite wound with 8 turns.

The problems occur with all cables plugged in OR just the USB cable and PS
connected ONLY - all other cables unplugged. Mox mouse or ext PTT key give
the same results. The rig is barefoot with no linear. The screen shots are
shown at 10mW AM carrier.  The spike tracks the drive control output in
amplitude.

Does anyone see a problem?

Thanks.

Tom, K1JJ