[hpsdr] Penny PTT unkeying spike - T/R sequencing?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Feb 4 17:28:54 PST 2011

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your additional work on the unkeying spike.

> ****  New question:  Is there a simple way to monitor the output of an
> EXTERNAL linear amplifier on the Mercury panadapter during normal Penny
> transmit? It would mean disconnecting the internal Penny to Merc RF
> sampler
> and inputting the external linear sample somehow, no?   Obviously, Penny's
> clean output is meaningless if the external amplifier is not clean, thus
> the
> motivation to monitor the last component in the RF chain.

The spectrum you see in PowerSDR whilst transmitting is not the RF output
from Penny. Rather its the  I and Q signal that is being sent to Penny at
some point in the DSP chain.

In theory it should be possible to modify PowerSDR to run in full duplex but
I not away of anyone actually doing this.

KISS Konsole will run in full duplex so you can see your transmit signal as
it is received by Mercury.
We are presently merging the USB and Ethernet versions of  KK ready for the
release of  Metis.  We plan to do this over the weekend and will advise when
the latest version is available.

It will be interesting to hear your results of doing the same tests using KK
since it  could help us narrow down where the spike is occurring.

73 Phil...VK6APH