[hpsdr] PowerSDR vs Kiss

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Feb 10 04:40:48 PST 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 4:20 AM, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> Also, is there a way of listening to the audio on the PC just with USB
> connected? I alway had the impression that data is send via USB, similar to
> the USRP, and data processing was done on the PC. It took me some time to
> realize that I had to plug the head phone into the Mercury PC or alternatively
> use an audio cable connecting it to the PC.

The processing is still done on the PC.  It's just that the result is output to the DAC on board Mercury rather than through your PC's audio system by default.  I'm not the Windows guy, so I can't help you out with this in particular.  Looking quickly through the PowerSDR settings on my test Windows box, I don't think there's an option for system audio.  You might be able to rig something up with VAC so you could listen to it.

I believe that it's done this way because there have been historical problems with differing clock rates on the computer and the OpenHPSDR rig, which cause dropouts periodically when either the buffer fills or empties.

I have some code in the Heterodyne on the Mac to push things out to the system audio, but it's not quite ready for prime time.

> How does this work with Metis?

Precisely the same way.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)