[hpsdr] Downconverter

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Feb 23 10:50:06 PST 2011

Jim,

After checking my notes I see that I DID NOT in fact use the DEMI
1296/28 MHz transverter for my work at 1420 MHz,  I only remembered
thinking that's how I would do it initially but actually did something
quite different involving a spectrum analyzer IF output.  I just
checked DEMI's offerings and see nothing there that is relevant.

However, I have had very excellent results with receiver converter
solutions using the slick little modules from MiniCircuits.  As an
example, take a look at the ZFM-2000+ double balanced mixer module

http://minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZFM-2000+.pdf

Simply plug the output of your 1420 MHz LNA into it and run the IF
output into your HPSDR.  The advantage to using something like this is
that you provide your own LO (+7dBM) at whatever frequency stability
you need and simply follow it with a low-pass in-line filter
(MiniCircuits has those too, 0-50 MHz BNC module).  By providing your
own LO you can put the IF output frequency anywhere you like within
the HPSDR spectral range.

Sorry for the slip about the 23cm transverter, memory failed.

73,  Joe K5SO