[hpsdr] PowerSDR vs Kiss

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Feb 25 09:42:49 PST 2011

(I know these replies are a little late, but I'm going through my e-maili answering things that I had meant to answer but didn't have time with other things going on)

On Feb 10, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Joe Martin K5SO wrote:

> Actually, I was probably too harsh with my comment on the virtual audio cable (VAC) from PowerSDR to the PC audio system method.  In fact, when using a laptop with PowerSDR I do use VAC for an audio connection from PowerSDR to the PC and the latency isn't too bad that way on my particular laptop.   Of course, the great thing about HPSDR is that you may configure things any way that suits your needs!  If one method doesn't do it to your satisfaction there are usually alternative methods to try.

On the Mac, the audio path was really designed with audio engineers in mind.  These are the kinds of guys who use Logic Pro to record and engineer music recordings that you eventually see on CD or MP3.  They're really concerned about latency in their plugins, so it's something that Apple pays very close attention to.  Mac audio units can actually be queried as to what their latency is going to be when you drop all of the settings into them.  The audio code isn't completely done yet, but I'm really endeavoring to make sure that the buffering isn't too bad on the audio paths on the Mac.  The current code in Heterodyne only works on receive, but I have hooked it up to cocoaModem with Soundflower and have copied PSK31 and HF FAX transmissions with the setup.  It tends to work fairly well.