[hpsdr] Compact Power Supply for begginers

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat Feb 26 13:05:38 PST 2011

Hi Maximo,
   Some (many?) switching power supplies radiate RF energy on many
harmonics of the switching frequency, possibly causing interference that
you'll hear as you listen to your radio.  Some switchers seem to be well
shielded and filtered and don't produce noticable RF.  I guess all you
can do is try one and see how bad it is.

   I have Metis, Mercury, Penelope and Excalibur, and my +5v supply
current is 1.79 amp.
With only Metis and Mercury, it is 1.56 amp.

Of these cards Penelope is the only one needing +12v, and that's only
for the 0.5 watt power amp IC.
I'm currently using a very old linear power supply (+5v only).  I plan
to build a linear supply that would handle all these cards, plus a
Penny-Whistle 15W RF amp.

Dave
wa8ywq