[hpsdr] Transmit latency question

Paul Fletcher paul_fletcher at me.com
Tue Jan 4 07:31:28 PST 2011

Hi everyone.

I'm making progress towards having a working 100w transceiver and before I go any further I want to make sure the transmit / receive sequencing is set up correctly (I have a micro controller to properly sequence the various bits and pieces and an external valve PA when I get that far).

>From other posts and experience with DSP radios, there is a delay after the key line going active and RF appearing from Penny, with a corresponding delay between the key line going inactive and RF ceasing to appear from Penny, both due to latency in the whole system.

Does anyone have information about this timing sequence or is there a way to calculate it? I know how to measure it but don't have the required gear.

I want to make the T/R switching as fast as possible whilst remaining safe and without cutting off any transmitted audio. The relays I have are apparently capable of switching much faster (1ms) than the inherent latency so I need to handle this and avoid any hot switching.

Here's hoping someone can help.

Regards,
Paul M1PAF