[hpsdr] Transmit on HPSDR

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:28:44 PST 2011

Last Friday I received a HPSDR system I purchased from an individual on
the internet.  What I have found since Friday is that the system does an
outstanding job as a receiver, but it, as of yet, doesn't have a
complete working transmitter/power amp.  The system I purchased includes
a Penelope module and a PennyWhistle amp, but I find that there isn't
any hardware available to control transmit/receive antenna connectivity,
nor is there available hardware for send/receive filtering.  It is my
understanding that all of this would be taken care of by the Alexiares
module, which, according to the net, will be available in 2008.  Is
there, or will there ever be, a way to order this module as either a kit
or assembled.

I understand that there is another PA being developed by someone (NT
Electronics???) (HERCULES???) that will produce 100 watts and contain
the necessary switching/filtering.  I have sent an email to NT
Electronics, but haven't yet received a reply.  I also saw info on
openhpsdr that indicated I could buy a T/R switch from NT Electronics
via an Ebay vendor.  Not true, I found the vendor but not the product.

The frustrating thing is the talk about all of the new "techie" modules
being developed that will replace old modules (that are doing their jobs
just fine) but there doesn't seem to be any emphasis on achieving one
complete design.

My background is in electronics and computers.  I spent 10 years as an
electronic technician, and 40 years as an engineer working on spacecraft
and underwater electronic systems.  If the reason a complete design
hasn't been achieved is because of lack of manpower, let me know.  I am
retired and available.

The only boards I seem to be able to order are ones I have or don't
need.  If I have missed finding out how to order a Alexiares or Hercules
module, please tell me how.

Thanks

Mike Fager, K7SR