[hpsdr] Transmit on HPSDR

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Jan 10 18:20:31 PST 2011

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the openHPSDR group and thanks for your email.

You are quite correct that there is currently no off the shelf complete
transmitter solution for HPSDR.

TAPR has had protracted issues with the manufacture of the toroids for the
Alex filter boards. My understanding is that these are now resolved and
that production will start shortly.

Even with the Alex board, if you require more power than the 16w from
PennyWhistle then you are going to need to source a PA.

Whilst waiting for a TR relay etc others have used PA strips from defunct
transceivers, used the CCI kits, eBay purchases or one of the various
external 100w PAs currently available.

There are HPSDR members who are developing PA stages that *may* eventually
become HPSDR projects and TAPR *may* produce a small production run.

There are various ways that new projects appear. Some get announced at the
concept stage in the reflector, other members prefer to develop in private
and we get to hear about the results of their efforts much later on.

Some projects are never completed, other commitments mean the developers
are unable to continue etc.

TAPRs role is to support experimentation and new developments in Ham
communications.  After an HPSDR project has been proven and peer reviewed
TAPR *may* decide to ask for expressions of interest and, if sufficient is
show, produce a production run of boards.  The completed and tested boards
typically cost the same as if an individual were to purchase the PCB and
parts themselves.

Once the run of boards has sold out TAPR do not produce more. At that
stage the original designers *may* offer the design for others to
manufacture. Recently Scotty Cowling  and Dan Babcock have advised that
they will be manufacturing some of the boards that TAPR no longer stock.

The reason that new boards are appearing that are alternatives to
existing, perfectly functional, boards is that a) they are no longer
available from TAPR and b) there is newer ideas/technology available that
we would like to try.

The HPSDR group is funder mentally about experimentation.  Having
individual modules, that you may wish to update over time, keeps the
technology current and a low cost way to update without needing to discard
a complete radio.

We are not offering plug and play solutions, instead our architecture does
allow for great flexibility to add and or try new features both now and in
the future. We are about the journey, learning along the way, and not
necessarily the destination.

Your offer of assistance is gratefully received. Perhaps you would like to
suggest a project of your own or one of the current developers will
contact you directly.

73 Phil...VK6APH