[hpsdr] svn server IP changed

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sun Jan 2 14:59:46 PST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Alberto I2PHD wrote:

> On 1/2/2011 11:16 PM, Erik Anderson wrote:
>> Just to make sure, we're not talking about the registrar (who owns the domain) but the DNS server (who controls the domain).
> Why then have the DNS owned by a different organization than the registrar ?

Because it's served by the same organization that serves the web pages.  This is a fairly customary arrangement.

> IMHO it is much more handy to use the DNS services offered by the registrar itself, this leads to a greater flexibility...

I'm not sure how it's more flexible to use the registrar's DNS services.  It's not like the registrar actually serves anything at all.  All they do is cause the TLD provider to insert NS records in the appropriate domain.  In this case, GoDaddy doesn't actually serve the org. TLD, they just instruct Afilias (with whom ICANN contracts to serve the .org domain) to insert NS records into the domain.

Someone has to now set up those NS servers to serve the actual data for the registered domain.  Who really does this doesn't matter, and having your registrar do it doesn't really gain you anything.  I, personally, just choose to serve my own DNS.  When you have a full server out on the Internet, it's not that hard.  I just have "reciprocal arrangements" with buddies out on the net to cross-serve our domains for secondaries.

Either way, I'm working on this with the appropriate folks.  I'm hoping that I can have a DNS name established in the next few days.  I'll keep the group up to date.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com