[hpsdr] CW Operation

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 7 20:28:29 PST 2011

Luke,

My HPSDR system has been on the air for almost exactly 12 months now.  Made
a thousand or more CW QSO's and am not bothered by any latency what so ever.
I'm not making light of your complaint, but am wondering why you are
experiencing something that I am not experiencing.

The "latency" between actuating the paddle / key and the actual CW output as
detected by a remote receiver is confirmed by my observations. As a
practical matter, my HPSDR system uses the native Power SDR keyer to key the
transmitter and uses the native Power SDR monitor system to monitor the
output.  In that configuration,  there is no apparent latency and the keying
sounds to me, and to the people whom I QSO, remarkably clean and pleasing to
listen to.  The undeniable latency in the system is all relative and not
detectable by me using this setup.

Could your "latency" be linked to your possibly using an external keyer and
your trying to monitor using the native Power SDR monitor system?  I just
don't know.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7FU