[hpsdr] Penelope vs: PennyLane - final IMD? Mercury diversity?

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Jan 12 15:11:39 PST 2011

Hi Tom,

Congratulations and welcome to the group!  FB on your plans.  With
reference to your diversity receive questions:

1) As you may already know, information concerning the use of dual
Mercury boards for diversity operation is given on the HPSDR Wiki page
for "Multi-Receiver" :

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Multi-Receiver

Additionally, I have an HPSDR download page on my website,

http://k5so.com/HPSDR_downloads.html

where you may find additional information regarding configuration
details for dual Mercury boards for simultaneous use on the Atlas bus
implementing diversity reception.  Also the latest diversity software
(for Windows) is on that webpage for download, including instructions
and photos showing the necessary jumper configurations for the Mercury
boards.

2)  I would be happy to assist you in any way I can to get you up and
running, so if you need more detailed assistance than what is
contained above or below please don't hesitate to contact me directly
at the email address shown above for me.

3)  As for a demonstration of diversity, Jeff K2SDR recently posted to
this reflector a a couple of URLs that point to short demonstrations
of how the Diversity Control (radar screen) works in a "locked gain"
configuration and how well it can null signals with his system.  That
particular URL is

http://mysite.verizon.net/jkelly/hpsdr/div_1.wmv

He also points to a demonstration showing how he was able to null out
a pulsed interfering noise signal to enhance reception of a DX
station, using the Diversity Control in a variable gain/variable phase
mode, I believe.

Both demos are impressive, in my view.

4)  As George commented, it is not likely that Hermes and Mercury can
be used together for diversity receive, for several reasons in fact,
so I wouldn't plan on that particular combination to be available for
diversity receive if I were you, unless you wish to undertake the
coding/interfacing challenges yourself, of course.  It would be a
significant effort certainly and personally I don't see how one would
even approach doing it.  There are too many serious disadvantages to
overcome for that, I think, to be a practical approach.

5) During the past several days I've been working on putting three
Mercury boards on the Atlas bus with the goal of providing dual gain
and phase controls to enable even better directional nulling/
enhancement over a dual Mercury board setup.  As of this afternoon, I
currently have three Mercury boards providing independent IQ streams
through Ozy (or Magister, presumably) to a modified version of the
PowerSDR diversity program.  Each interleaved IQ stream may be
independently selected from the front panel display with diversity
operation with two of the streams available.  In the next several days
I expect to complete coding of an enhanced Diversity Control to allow
independent phasing involving all three IQ streams for superior
directional control of a three-antenna array (e.g., 3 verticals, or
any combination of other 3 antennas that you may have available for a
single frequency).  Of course, I will post a notification on this
reflector when I get the Diversity Control programming done for this
enhance diversity program, or at least make progress to such a stage
that makes the triple-Mercury arrangement a practical mode to
implement even if the Diversity Control scheme isn't quite yet
optimal.  It's difficult to know ahead of time how best to arrange
user interface for such a triple-IQ-stream control.  Testers are
needed, hihi, to give me feedback as to how useful a modified "radar
screen, user interface" will be in such a mode.

None of this HPSDR hardware/firmware/software is plug and play, of
course, so don't think that.  Nevertheless, if you're willing to get
in there and learn (with help, of course! ) there is sufficient
hardware and software available even today to provide an experimenter
ample resources to put together a superb HPSDR system.  My own HPSDR
system, for example, runs full legal power on HF, 70cm EME, and 23cm
EME by using modules and components from spare analog transceivers,
external transverters, amplifiers, etc and it absolutely out performs
any of the current high dollar commercial rigs you would pay thousands
of dollars to obtain.

  You need not be an expert in any aspect of SDR to be successful.
Inexperienced operators are generally quite successful at putting
together an HPSDR system and running it and, of course, keep in mind
that everyone was a newbie once.  No question is a silly question if
you don't know the answer, so feel free to ask; someone on here will
likely be able to help you get a satisfactory answer.

Welcome to the party!

Vy 73,

Joe K5SO