[hpsdr] Penelope vs: PennyLane - final IMD? Mercury diversity?

Tom Cathey k1jj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 11:45:48 PST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the list and intend on building a complete HPSDR transceiver
featuring two Mercury boards for dual diversity and null steering. I also
want to have at least -50db 3rd order IMD from the exciter to work with for
further SS amplification.

I understand the stock Penelope has an output of 500mw at about -50db 3rd
order IMD.  What does the new PennyLane expect  to have at its 16 watt
output? Will it contain a conventional -32db 3rd 16w amplifier or something
better?  And how about the Hermes transceiver - what is that IMD figure
expected to be?  ie, I might be better off buying a Penelope with the -50db
3rd to start.

Another question:  Will I be limited to using  two Mercury receivers only,
for the diversity null steering routine (written in PowerSDR) or can I use a
Hermes transceiver with a second Mercury added later to accomplish
diversity?   I assume there is no problem buying  Euro Mercurys as long as I
use the proper firmware. (since it's available)

I wonder if anyone can point me to info describing the use and experiences
using the null steering diversity of the Mercurys?  I have used simple dual
diversity with my Yagis and Beverages using an FT-1000D and am excited about
adding the null steering aspect.

Looking to buy two Mercurys, one Penelope, one Atlas, one Metis, one
Excalibur, one Pandora and power supplies - in case anyone has any for sale
used. Otherwise I will purchase new within a week or so.

Thanks for the help.   I am proud to become part of this excellent SDR
group!

73,

Tom, K1JJ
CT