[hpsdr] Artemis - KS8995

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Jan 25 11:39:40 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Kevin Wheatley wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
> I've just been scanning the datasheet for the KS8995, if I'm reading this correctly we don't need an additional PHY (it's embedded), the PIC would interface direct to the KS8995 via MII, so the missing link is the MAC address, we could use the same chip as Metis, hooked up to the PIC, the problem would be solved via software.

I don't think you'd even have to do that.  If I understand page 35-56 of http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/DS-61155A.pdf correctly, the PIC comes preprogrammed from the factory with a MAC address (See note 5, "This register is loaded at reset from the factory preprogrammed station address.")  Also check out page 35-60 of the same document:

35.4.1.3	SOURCE MAC ADDRESS
The source address is the 6-byte field MAC address of the node that transmitted the Ethernet frame. Every Ethernet device must have a globally unique MAC address. Each PIC32MX including an Ethernet Controller has a unique address, which is loaded into the MAC registers on power-up. This value can be used as is, or the registers may be reconfigured with a different address at run time.

So you don't need any external chips.  There is a unique MAC for each PIC32MX from the factory.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com