[hpsdr] FPGA suggestions needed to get new system running

Tom Cathey k1jj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 16:41:57 PST 2011

 Hi Everyone,

I'm new to HPSDR and  have gotten to this point on the computer screen:

"Invalid Firmware Level Ozy>=16   Penelope >= 12  Mercury >=27 required"

I just got the computer to recognize the three boards, Ozy, Merc and Penny.
They are from an unbuilt kit maybe two years old.  The computer recognized
the USBIO software and the boards have lit LEDS... :-)  I have the software
toggles set the best I can from the manuals. I am using the latest PowerSDR
from the HPSDR website.

** I soon plan use dual diversity using two Mercurys with K5SO's software,
but only have one Mercury for now. I'd like to get it set up now with the
dual diversity  PowerSDR and firmware so I don't have to do it again later.
Is it OK to run Joe's versions from his website now with just one Mercury?
I see Merc and Penny firmware on the website, but no Ozy firmware.

I added the boards one by one and saw  the invalid message above start with
only the Ozy board installed.  The msg stayed the same with all three boards
installed.

BTW, I installed  Tortoise SVN software that appears to work. However, I
also installed Altera from the quick start guide. That is for firmware, I
think, but it only flashes a quick test message and then disappears.  Should
I use Tortoise only?

How do I view what firmware version is contained in each board?

This is all new to me, so I'm struggling. I am reading the SVN info on this
site, but want to be sure before I  start flashing FPGA... :-).  Based on
the desire to use dual diversity, how should I proceed to get the new
firmware up and running?

Thanks.

Tom, K1JJ