[hpsdr] FPGA suggestions needed to get new system running

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Jan 27 17:25:57 PST 2011

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you again!

1 )  Given your stated desire to run diversity operations, my
recommendation is to go ahead and load my Mercury v6.3 firmware into
your Mercury FPGA.  The procedure is described on the download page of
my website (http://www.k5so.com/HPSDR_downloads.html).  It will run
fine with the PowerSDR v1.19.3.1.diversity15 program even though you
only have one Mercury board on the Atlas bus.  Of course, with only a
single board present you should select the "Mercury 1" button on the
front panel (the program defaults to "Diversity" when it comes up)
since you have only a single IQ data stream present for the program to
work with but that's no problem.  This way you'll be all set for
diversity operation when you obtain a second Mercury board.

2)  The invalid firmware message is due to the fact that you have an
early version of Mercury firmware presently, so you will need to
update the FPGA code anyway no matter what version of PowerSDR you run
and, in my view, you should go ahead and load Mercury v6.3 now for
diversity operations since that's your end goal anyway.

3)  Don't worry about updating the Ozy firmware.  That happens
automatically on a fresh power up of the Atlas bus whenever PowerSDR
is run (or when initOzy11.bat is run, if you do that).  Each version
of the executable code for PowerSDR has in its distribution folder a
file called Ozy_Janus.rbf and that's what gets put into the Ozy
(Magister) FPGA when PowerSDR is run from a fresh power up of the
Atlas bus (or when initOzy11.bat is run).  Different PowerSDR versions
sometimes have different Ozy_Janus.rbf files but they are all named
the same thing (it's a bit confusing, I know) but the operation is
transparent to you so for now you needn't worry with that aspect of
things.

4)  FB on getting Tortoise up and running to access the SVN
repository.  You will need to configure the HPSDR folders with the
proper information about where the SVN repository is located in order
to perform an initial "checkout" of the files on the repository and
for the normal "update" you will do later when new code is posted.  If
you have trouble with getting that set up I can help you get that
done.  However, for the Mercury v6.3 FPGA code you do not need to
access the SVN repository at all, since the diversity code does not
reside in the HPSDR repository at this time anyway (the diversity code
is only on my website presently).

5)  Don't confuse Tortoise with "Altera".  Tortoise is a program to
access the SVN repository where most HPSDR code is stored.  "Altera"
is a company that makes the FPGAs that we use in our HPSDR boards.  We
use a program called Quartus II  (from Altera) to load the FPGA code
into the FPGAs, so you will need to download Quartus II from the
Altera download site and install Quartus II on your system to be able
to update firmware in the FPGAs.  When you install Quartus II it will
create a folder called "Altera" on your disk drive.  The folder will
contain the Quartus II program and associated files.

I know all this must sound terribly confusing but it's not too bad if
you have some help getting started.  You'll get the hang of it
quickly.  I'll be happy to help as much as you need in order to get
rolling, as I'm sure others would be pleased to assist as well.
We're a friendly group.  Don't fret, there are no stupid questions
when it comes to this stuff, hihi.

You certainly may contact me directly if you have further questions.
Others may have additional advice for you, as well.

Hope this helps!   Again, welcome to HPSDR!!   It's loads of fun!

73,  Joe K5SO