[hpsdr] iPhone/iPad

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sat Jan 29 19:58:11 PST 2011

As a general note regarding Heterodyne, ghpsdr3, etc. I just wanted to say that I am in no way discouraging people from playing with and compiling up John's code on the Mac.  I have a great deal of respect for John, and his stuff definitely explores some interesting ideas in which some Mac users may be very interested.  None of my comments are ever intended to disparage his amazing work.

That being said, I have some different ideas as to the direction of the software I'm writing on the Mac.  I'm not as interested in being compatible with anyone or being multiplatform in any sort of way.  My goal is to be the best-of-breed software that leverages the Apple technologies to the maximum extent.  This necessarily excludes being multi-platform because there will be some things (such as the Accelerate framework) that are just not available on other platforms.

I do try to look at the ideas that others are playing with such as John's client/server implementations, Herman's CUDA work, and Joe's diversity work, among others.  I'm always open to ideas to make improve things.  But, again, you have to realize that to me "it compiles on Linux now," or "it doesn't use evil Apple closed source frameworks," aren't necessarily improving things.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com