[hpsdr] iPhone/iPad

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sat Jan 29 19:44:46 PST 2011

On Jan 29, 2011, at 6:58 PM, Mike wrote:

> Now that the hardware server will be inside the FPGA for Metis & Hermes, I guess it would be reasonable to have the dspserver multiplatform including OSX (I think it already runs under Windows).

Right now the implementation of the protocol for Metis is significantly different than the protocol for ghpsdr3 "server."  John is working on a soft-core processor based implementation for Metis, but it's not ready yet.

> Then Heterodyne can connect to the dspserver.

Heterodyne won't connect to dspserver because it has its own DSP core (right now DttSP, later a Mac optimized DSP using the Accelerate framework and possibly OpenCL) built in.  It will connect to the hardware server to get samples from a variety of hardware.

> Could you please give more details about your plugin architecture for Heterodyne? Is it possible to use plugins written in Macruby?
> Macruby is fast approaching 1.0 release and from what I read it will be as fast as Objective-C.

The plugin architecture is in the initial stages and not yet really baked.  The first real test of it will be shipping Ozy and Metis support as separate plugins.  Currently the Metis version of Heterodyne supports Metis via the a plugin.  I'm doubtful you'll be able to successfully code a plugin in entirely MacRuby.  The plugin architecture expects to see an Objective C object after loading the bundle that complies with a certain Objective C protocol.  I'm not familiar with MacRuby, so I can't tell you whether you can implement this.  You may be able to do something sneaky like make a thin Objective C wrapper that calls your Ruby calls.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com