[hpsdr] Mercury problems

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Jun 10 10:13:03 PDT 2011

Dear All,

One of my 2 mercury boards had firmware v 2.7 in it.  I decided earlier this week to update to 2.9(a).  Since I'm a Metis user, I
used John Melton's HPSDRProgrammer, and it seemed to work just fine as far as performing the update.

Now that I decided to TEST what I had done, I discovered that Mercury isn't working right anymore!  And this is true whether using
Ozy or Metis.  The problem was: no data coming from Mercury (Sync light in KISS set to RED.)

So I decided to revert back to firmware 2.7 for Mercury.  But no joy!  Lights D9 and D10 continue to NOT flash like they do on my
other mercury, which runs 2.9 just fine.  So that's supposed to indicate that the 'code is NOT running'.

Since these 'debug LEDs' seem to be driven by only the FPGA (and D3 is on, indicating that the fpga got loaded from EPROM, I think,
from the Mercury manual), I'm guessing that my Cyclone III may be hosed?

Anyone got any other ideas?  I'll certainly be on Teamspeak tonight, to see if there's any help offered there as well!

73,
George K9TRV