[hpsdr] Problem with Dropouts running PowerSDR

Bob Mahrenholz bobm at edge.net
Sat Jun 25 19:42:09 PDT 2011

Hi:

I've gotten PowerSDR up and running pretty well following the latest
)22 April 2011) Windows Quick Startup Guide (and some great help) and
are at the point in the procedure where level and frequency
calibration are to be performed. (I have a H-P 8640B I want to use
for that.)  I understand how to tune with the mouse now. I previously
had a Softrock so I know my way around PowerSDR fairly well.

Everything seems to be working except that I get dropouts! This is
where the panadapter screen freezes and the audio mutes for a second.
This occurs irregularly and does not appear to coincide with any
other phenomena. Dropouts may occur a second apart or a couple of
minutes apart. They are not too bad on a ham band with a lot of
interference but are annoying when listening to music on the broadcast band.

I am running "PowerSDR (KD5TFD 2 Feb 2011b derived from v1.10.4 +
Base SVN 2025"    I have Windows XP SP3.  Computer is a dedicated
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale
2.8GHz Dual Core Processor and 2GB memory. Windows Task Manager shows
PowerDSR CPU usage between 6 and 16%. No other process shows any usage.

I hope this is not characteristic of Software Defined Radio.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob Mahrenholz
K4QQK

Thanks,