[hpsdr] another newbie question, this time with a lot of red blinking lights...

Erik Anderson erikba at odysseus.anderson.name
Sat Jun 25 22:39:49 PDT 2011

Okay, finally got Mercury in the mail yesterday, which was the last piece
for me to actually try to start using this thing.

My setup currently includes a Metis (currently J1) + Mercury (currently J3),
both currently with the same jumpers that they originally came with.

I was able earlier to flash both cards with HPSDR programmer (metis: v1.3
w/J1 set, mercury: v2.9 w/LAST_JTAG set), and have set Metis (and my PC) to
a static IP address.  At this point HPSDR programmer can detect the Metis
card within a fraction of a second in "Metis Programmer" mode (even with the
wrong setting of "Interface").

I have downloaded both KK (v1.0.4 ethernet) and PowerSDR (v1.19.3.4 W5WC
5/14/11) (not familiar enough to know the strengths of each yet) along with
libusb (didn't/can't install, just moved libusb0.dll into powersdr, it seems
happy) and skins (which installed into a weird directory under "Documents
and Settings").

Please note that there is nothing connected to Mercury, I don't even have a
dummy load connected, hoping no one cares for mercury (would like to know
though if the not-yet-purchased Penny has any SWR protection on it)

Current issues:
(*) PowerSDR:
- detection failure.  "Metis Address" is all zeroes and hitting the
invisible [Start] button results in "Error starting HPSDR hardware, is it
connected and powered?"
- no skins?  I'm not getting a "no skins" error message on startup anymore,
but I didn't know there was a [Start] button until I read about it in the
QuickStart guide
(*) KK
- detection failure.  "Code Version" is all zeroes, "Ethernet tab" has no
info other than a list of four interfaces, the selected one being a disabled
VPN.  Attempts to switch the network adapter to the LAN results in "Restart
KISS Konsloe to select new Network Adapter".  Unfortunately I haven't found
the "save settings" button yet, it comes up pointing to the same VPN.

I'm half guessing that most of these questions would just go away if I
looked harder for the right documentation.

Thanks for letting me try this out :-)
Erik KE7YOA