[hpsdr] 600 meters

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Tue Jun 14 19:21:25 PDT 2011

G'day,

The problem is that PennyLane uses Mini-Circuits transformers and filters in
the signal path that characterizes its frequency bandwidth.

Type          Designator    Nominal Frequency
===========================
TC4-1T      T1                   0.5MHz-300MHz
ADT1.5-1  T2                   0.5MHz-650MHz
TC1-1        T3                   1.5MHz-500MHz
RLP-40+   FL9                DC~56MHz
===========================

This will limit the lower frequency to around 1.5MHz; a little lower if
insertion (final output power) and and return losses are not critical. The top
end the frequency is determined by the RLP-40+ low pass filter at about 56Mhz.
The results is an usable frequency spectrum of 1.5Mhz-56Mhz.

It is apparent that PennyLane was primarily designed for operation on 160m-6m
bands. Hence, suitable replacements for transformers T1, T2 and T3 need to be
found to extend PennyLane's frequency coverage to LF and MF bands.

I'm interested in VLF/LF/MF and will be looking for a solution to modify
PennyLane to operate on 137kHz.

73, Berndt
VK5ABN