[hpsdr] Pennylane drivelevel

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Jun 30 18:15:16 PDT 2011

Hi Wully,

You appear to be on the right track. The Drive Level can vary from 0x00
(no power out) to 0xFF (max power out).

You only really need to set this each time the drive level is changed
since once set it will be saved in an FPGA register. However, most PC code
continually sends all the C&C bytes in round-robin fashion to cater for
dropped packets on the USB link.

Unlike Penny, for PennyLane the I and Q signals need to be held at full
scale at all times - we usually use AGC to do this.

You can monitor the level of your Q signal from the PC by connecting a
'scope to the output of the TLV320 on the DB25 connector. In this way you
can check that PennyLane is actually receiving your I and Q signals.

Hope that helps.

73 Phil...VK6APH