[hpsdr] Metis & dual Mercury boards

K1rqg at aol.com K1rqg at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 19:55:15 PDT 2011

Folks

For some time now I have been experimenting with K5SO diversity software
with a great deal
of success. I have been following the progress of others on this reflector,
 and would like to
mention something to be aware of.

When Metis arrived, I immediately changed over from Magister (OZY as well)
and was thrilled
with the results. Over a period of about two weeks, and during many
software changes, I
began to see degradation in performance of diversity operation. The  noise
floor would rise,
and on occasion it appeared that one of the Mercury cards would "take off".
 This got progressively
worse, so I switched back to OZY and all seemed to play well again.

Also with Metis, all was well with just one Mercury on the back plane. I
saw Georg, DL2KP,
comments and it sounded a bit like the things I had been seeing.

What I found in my case was the LPU was failing after being on for a few
minutes with
Peny, Metis, Excalibur, and two Mercury boards. I monitored the  regulated
12v and that
stayed stable, however, the regulated 5 v started at 4.98 v and continued
to drop down
below 4.2 v and this is where the noise floor started rising. I measured
excessive drop
across R6 (2.2 ohm 10 W) resistor and also notice a physical split
longitudinally down
the center.

I switched back to my old ATX power supply and all problems vanished
(except for the
occasional noise hump associated with switching P/S). I fashioned 4 x 2 ohm
 5 W
resistors (series/parallel now 20 W dissipation) and the LPU seems to be
holding up for
over an hour. I will test it longer tomorrow.

I thought there must have been some software issues, but so far it has
turned out to be
LPU. Check the +12 v and +5 v on the Atlas board (the other voltages are
not needed)
for stability and ripple.

73 de Joe
K1RQG