[hpsdr] Jitter with Metis

Werner Hlawatschek dl2ja at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 21 03:01:27 PDT 2011

Gentlemen,

With one of my two Metis cards I observe the following effect. When selecting Excalibur as 10 MHz source in PowerSDR/KISS I notice an audible jitter of approx. +/- 5Hz @ 10MHz range on any receive signal in every mode. The jitter deviation increases in the 28MHz range to approx +/-100Hz. The character of the jitter depends in what slot of Atlas Excalibur is placed. Selecting Mercury or Penny as 10MHz source provides clean and jitter free reception. My old Ozy cards didn’t
show this effect. My second Metis card also works flawless.

The LEDs show on both Metis cards the same behaviour. My setup:

2 identical HPSDR sets consisting of Atlas, LPU, Excalibur, Mercury,
Penelope, Metis. All boards are original TAPR boards. OS Windows XP SP3.

Any ideas what happened here?

My deepest respect and thanks for the soft- and hardware developers of
this project as well as the team of TAPR. HPSDR reanimated my enthusiasm for HAM radio.

73, Werner, DL2JA