[hpsdr] coherent dual mercury receivers

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Mar 14 06:36:56 PDT 2011

Hi Phil,

I wrestled with this same situation earlier with HPSDR for the timing
for pulsar data acquisition, as you may recall from some of our
private communications a while back regarding my use of Atlas bus line
A19 for "external sync".   Of course, A19 is now designated for use
by Cyclops but the use of a different bus line could be implemented
for a1 pps GPS sync signal very easily.

The timing situation can be made better than your 1 in 62 sample
uncertainty that arises from use of the C&C data by using, say, one of
the bits in the 16-bit MIC data from Ozy/Magister/Metis to the PC
instead.  Doing this would improve the real time uncertainty by a
factor of 62 for you for starters.  No time stamping is necessary as
long as the comm path between HPSDR and the PC doesn't drop data
packets.

As you know, the timing uncertainty is limited by the minimum time
step between samples that are passed to the PC and that limitation is
1/192,000 sec at the moment if the highest sampling rate is selected;
a bit more than 5 uSec between samples.  If time resolution better
than that is required it seems to me that we would need to run at a
higher final sampling rate than 192,000 samples/sec, i.e., with less
total decimation.   Metis should allow for that, I believe, right?

In any case, your Griffin project requirements are not quite the same
as the issue that Georg brings up with regard to coherent operation of
dual Mercury boards, I think.  Coherent operation is possible without
time stamping in Georg's case, unless I've missed the mark completely,
hihi!

73,  Joe K5SO