[hpsdr] coherent dual mercury receivers

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Mar 13 18:16:29 PDT 2011

I do have a requirement to time stamp samples from Mercury.

This is for the Griffin project:

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=GRIFFIN

I'm developing a Chirp beacon that can be used as a beacon (with an ERP
much higher than its actual power output) and a radar for measuring real
time propagation on the HF bands and in particular 6m.

The Chirp beacon linearly sweeps a carrier over 1kHz in one second (as an
example). The start of the sweep is triggered by the 1PPS signal from a
GPS receiver.

On receive we can feed 1PPS from a GPS receiver to the Atlas bus and use
this to time stamp the sample that coincides with the start of the Chirp.

If we time stamp at the output of the ADC then there is a high probability
that the sample will be removed during decimation.

If we time stamp after decimation and filtering then we can currently only
indicate which USB frame contains the sample that coincides with the 1PPS.
That assumes that we just set a bit in the C&C data. In which case we
could be out by a 62 samples.

Anyone see an elegant solution?

73 Phil...VK6APH