[hpsdr] coherent dual mercury receivers

Glenn Thomas glennt at gbis.com
Mon Mar 14 11:17:22 PDT 2011

It's been awhile since I've looked, but I believe the original GPS
system specification called for CA time accuracy of +/- 10 ns. Thus the
calibration of the receiver clock needs to be at least this good - the
clock correction factors falling out of the position solution.

Given this, it seems like receiver 1 pps accuracy of +/- 100 ns ought to
be a piece of cake, assuming that the receiver design engineers paid
much attention to accuracy. A small thing, but I think it has to be done
at the design stage of a consumer GPS receiver. Simply dividing the raw
receiver clock signal down to 1 pps will provide accuracy no better than
the clock itself if no other clock correction factors are applied.
Likewise, dividing the correlater clock down to 1 pps will still contain
uncorrected errors due to doppler and various inconstant indexs of
refraction along the signal path.

73 de Glenn wb6w