[hpsdr] coherent dual mercury receivers

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Mar 14 11:45:08 PDT 2011

To be fair to the Garmin engineer whose statement I referenced, my
inquiry to him (several years ago now, actually) was in regard to a
very specific Garmin GPS receiver module, their GPS-25.

After examining some of the documents available on the web regarding
more sophisticated GPS receivers I see that it is indeed possible to
obtain higher 1PPS accuracy than 1 uSec with some receivers but that
the accuracy greatly depends upon the particular GPS receiver that is
being used.  If the designers paid particular attention to deriving a
highly accurate 1PPS signal then you're home free;  otherwise, let the
user beware!

Thanks for the comments!  I learned something as a result.

73,  Joe K5SO