[hpsdr] Impressive performance of Mercury receiver

Luke Steele mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Tue Mar 15 06:58:31 PDT 2011

I added to my test equipment a Rohde & Schwartz SMS sig gen yesterday, and
was able to properly do the receiver level calibration.
What really impressed me was the sensitivity of the DDC receiver.
The R&S sig gen output goes down to -137 dBm (0.032 uV), and even at this
level, I was able to hear and see the signal, CW mode, preamp on, at my
test frequency of 11 MHz. I couldn't test at 10 MHz as WWV was interfering,
even with no antenna.
This level is well below background noise with an antenna connected, even
on higher bands. I live in a quiet rural location.

The HPSDR is now my main station rig, and I can't see any reason to
consider any of the commercial offerings with far bigger price tags.

Luke VK3HJ