[hpsdr] Win7-64 usage

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Fri Mar 18 14:26:30 PDT 2011

 G'day Steve,

You need a copy of the libusb0.dll, which doesn't come with PowerSDR 1.9.3,
but a signed version can be downloaded from the OpenHPSDR and copied into the
the PowerSDR directory. You would expect CPU load to go up when running
software in on a virtual machine.

 73, Berndt
 VK5ABN

 On 19/03/11 Steve Bunch wrote:

> I had no trouble with the Mac version of HPSDRProgrammer after fixing the
> problem I reported earlier, and updated Metis/Mercury/Penny to the firmware
> versions from the openhpsdr download site.
>
> I then downloaded PowerSDR 1.9.3 from the Downloads link at openhpsdr, and
> installed it on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, running in a virtual machine
> under Parallels on a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.6.6.  PowerSDR did not
work,
> reporting an error with JanusAudio that sounded familiar.  I searched the
> openhpsdr mail history for JanusAudio, and found previous emails that
described
> the problem I was having and how to fix it.  The workaround was to remove
Metis
> and install Ozy, download the appropriate driver from the Flex Radio site,
and
> run PowerSDR once with Ozy, then, turn it all off and disconnect it, remove
Ozy,

> put in Metis, start PowerSDR and switch to Metis (see the earlier emails for
> details).  It was a pain, but it worked and PowerSDR became happy.  I don't
know

> if there's a way to do it that doesn't require an Ozy.
>
> Running PowerSDR on Win 7 on this VM results in CPU usage 3-4x higher than
> Heterodyne (native Mac) running on the same MacBook (70-80% vs. 20% of one
CPU).

> Dropouts are rare.  The latest version of Jeremy's Heterodyne program runs
> well.  I downloaded and briefly tested KK on the Windows 7 virtual machine,
and
> it appears to run fine.
>
> If anyone has questions about any of this, feel free to contact me offlist.
>
> Using this setup, I was able to give a demo of Metis/Mercury/Penelope,
running
> PowerSDR on Windows 7 on a Virtual machine running on MacOS X on a MacBook,
> using a USB display adapter dongle to drive the projector, to accompany my
SDR
> talk at the Motorola Amateur Radio Club meeting last Tuesday.  Despite the
fact
> that the level of interference at the restaurant was incredibly high (neon
signs

> and other broadband interference sources), we were able to pick up a few
strong
> signals to play with, and there was a lot of interest.  Thanks to all the
HPSDR
> contributors!
>
> 73,
> Steve, K9SRB