[hpsdr] DDC Noise Figure

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Mar 27 15:54:11 PDT 2011

A good question.  Multiplication by saturated diodes in a conventional DBM
yields a best-case conversion loss of 3.9 dB -- 3 dB for the opposite
sideband which is unused, and 0.9 more dB lost in various distortion
products arising from square-wave switching.   I'd expect the "noise figure"
of an ideal DDC to be simply 3 dB, because sine-wave multiplication wouldn't
be accompanied by all the distortion.

In real life, the multiplier is presumably followed by one or more CIC
filters, and the picture gets murkier there due to bit allocation.   You can
lose up to ~6 dB (almost a full bit) if the MSB's precision isn't fully
utilized.  In other words, if the MSB is toggled by only the very strongest
signals, it will contribute less than the usual 6.02 dB of dynamic range,
and that deficit is effectively part of the conversion loss.

Another concern might be DC offset from the ADCs.  If the full dynamic range
isn't available going into the DDC it won't be available at baseband,
either.

-- john, KE5FX