[hpsdr] SDR on GPUs with Cuda

Hermann hvh.net at gmail.com
Tue May 24 00:18:42 PDT 2011

Dear All,

Ken, N9VV, pointed out to me an interesting paper of a group of
researchers who extended GNURadio with a library for GPU acceleration
of SDR:

http://www.ece.umd.edu/DSPCAD/papers/plis2011x1.pdf

They are obviously not aware of the HPSDR project and the ideas and
work that is done within. At least it shows us that the topic has
indeed some relevance, especially in the anticipation of increased
bandwith (Metis, ...).

A short update on my work on CudaSharpDSP: as I mentioned last year, I
changed the programming environment completely and had to set up a new
playground, which hopefully come to some stable state soon. This new
software - cuHPSDR - will inherit the CudaDSP package which I have
done in the KISS - CSharp environment. The new environment is based on
Qt/C++/OpenGL/Cuda and the multi-RX capable gHPSDR3 by John Melton. A
branch will also include the Chirp decoder for Griffin. You will be
able to choose between CPU-based DSP, and GPU-based-DSP. It will also
be possible to do all the graphical stuff (computation of FFTs for
spectras, waterfall, S-Meter, spectras of different chirp signals,
etc) on the GPU.

There's still a lot of programming work to do. Future plan include the
usage of OpenCL in order to converge to Jeremy's, NH6Z, work done on
MacOS.

Kind regards, vy 73,
Hermann

DL3HVH