[hpsdr] PowerSDR Diversity

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon May 16 06:50:21 PDT 2011

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Joe, but:

You cannot use any of the benefits of the diversity code with two "receivers" on a single Mercury.  You need to have a diverse antenna to make the code work correctly, and you can't do that with a single Mercury card.  Remember that the "receivers" on a single Mercury are only like "virtual receivers."  It uses the same samples coming off of the same ADC, it's just merely applying a different filter to the data.  This means that theoretically if you set the "virtual receiver" to the same sample rate and same frequency you'll get exactly the same samples.  This defeats any diversity receive you're trying to accomplish.

So, in summary, to play with Joe's diversity code and use the advantages of diversity receive you need to have two separate phase locked Mercury boards tied to two separate antennas.