[hpsdr] ozy/janus as soundcard for digital modes

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Nov 4 04:39:16 PDT 2011

On Nov 4, 2011, at 4:07 AM, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:

> What you described is exactly what I am seeing, and why I was confused by
> the panadapter display in PowerSDR. Well, that and the fact the PowerSDR
> doesn't let you shift the frequency with just Janus/Ozy selected so you
> cannot get to the part of the signal being passed by the filters in the
> radio. If I tell it there is a Softrock (I have one) and plug in the TS-480
> I can get to the radio signal.

You should be able to use the subreceiver which should be frequency agile within the passband.  That should allow you to pick out the signal you want.  Just mute the main receiver to keep the excess noise out of the audio stream.

> So, when you refer to a Windows driver, are you talking about just Windows
> code or do you think the Janus firmware would also need work?

I wouldn't think you'd need any sort of change to the Janus or Ozy firmware.  You get the sample values, you'd just need to change it so that you can massage it into a format that the Windows subsystem is going to like.  Check out the Ozy packet format documentation at http://openhpsdr.org/support/Ozy/USB_protocol_V1.35.pdf.  This tells you what's coming across the USB from Ozy when you're using Janus.

> What
> capabilities in addition to those currently in place would you envision?
> I've never written a Windows driver but I did do a SCSI driver for SVR4 back
> in the dark ages.

I'm not a Windows guy, and I'm definitely not a kernel guy so I can't necessarily tell you whether it's easy or hard on Windows.  I wouldn't imagine it being significantly harder than a SCSI driver.