[hpsdr] ozy/janus as soundcard for digital modes

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Nov 4 17:24:52 PDT 2011

Stephen,
You have 2 choices for the driver:  use libusb0 (like KISS and PowerSDR do)
or use WinUSB.  It's really rare to write a complete USB driver, as you have
to deal with unplugging, power management and all that.  And libusb0 is much
more performant than WinUSB, so I'd stick with libusb0.  Otherwise, you'd
have a lot of work ahead of you to write a 'sound card' driver that's
layered over the USB driver stack.

If you just want to get non-I/Q data into some other program, I'd recommend
starting with KISS, take the data that it provides, but instead of treating
it as I/Q data, deal with it as 'normal' audio and implement code to connect
to VAC or Jack.  If you make that connection 2-way (probably involves a VAC
channel 'each way'), you can RX and TX.  You'd connect to VAC or Jack rather
than doing all the RF demodulating and audio decoding that's done via FFT
and such by KISS or PowerSDR.  Of course, you wouldn't be able to control
the radio unless you also send the appropriate data streams via RS232 or
similar to the radio, so unless you do that, you'd have no way to know where
you are tuned or to tune the radio.  It would be much easier possibly to use
Ham Radio Deluxe to connect to your radio, run the sound into/out of a
normal sound card, unless you want to encode/decode the digital modes you
want to work with.

73,
George K9TRV