[hpsdr] Power Supply for Multiple Mercury receivers

Rick ve3mm richardstasiak at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:31:27 PST 2011

Hi Jeff

I went through this a few weeks ago and several list members suggested the
picoPSU-120-WI-25 120W wide input (12-25V) power supply.  I picked up a
couple of them from ITXCanada.com.  They are also available from a couple
of distributers in the US.

They are a great power supply for my HPSDR needs.  I am not using a fan any
longer in my Pandora setup (with Pennywhistle) with this power supply.
 Nice to have a complete quiet in the shack.  This may not work for you if
your shack is not on the cool side like mine is here in Canada.

The picoPSU units are switcher based designs that plug right in to the 20
pin socket on Atlas. I haven't found any birdies that cause me any concern.
 I cut off the incoming power connector and added a power pole connector
assembly to provide power to the picoPSU and Pennywhistle.

I had tried adding a pass transistor to the LPU to increase the 5 volt
output, but found I was dealing with a lot of heat dissipation issues that
were not easy to deal with, so I abandoned that effort.

73

Rick ve3mm