[hpsdr] penny/pennywhistle

Geoff vk2tfg at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 12 20:34:15 PST 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:11:39 am Graham / KE9H wrote:
> Geoff:
>
> After thinking about it, I have devised a test for T2.
>
> Remove it from the board.
>
> Then try to operate the power amplifier.
>
> If T2 was the problem, then the amplifier will operate
> at about 60 percent of rated power, which is a lot better than
> the "almost nothing" you are getting out right now.
> The DC power to the drains will still be supplied through
> the primary of the T3.

 snipped

Graham et al,
	I have run the T2 test, with T2 removed from pennywhistle I get the following
pennywhistle outputs and  current draw with my unmodified TAPR Penny maxed
out.

160m	5.57W	1.5A
80m		5.21W	1.46A
60m		4.9W	1.32A
40m		3.8W	1.37A
30m		4.32W	1.48A
20m		3.24	W	1.13A
17m		4.5W	1.3A
15m		5.9W	1.3A
12m		7.8W	1.27A
10m		8.19W	1.55A
6m		0.48W	0.95A

Take the 6m power output with a grain of salt, my power meter is only rated to
30MHz.

I can't comment about linearity with T2 removed.

Time to rewind T2 with the 0.63mm wire that I found :-).

73 de Geoff vk2tfg