[hpsdr] about latency growth with HPSDR

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Oct 1 00:14:24 PDT 2011

Hi Riho,

You may care to do some tests on you system using KISS Konsole since I suspect you are dropping packets between the PC and HPSDR hardware.  If you are only losing the odd packet then you are not going to hear them.

The Metis Ethernet code has a packet number included in each data frame both to and from the PC. KK will indicate if a  packet is lost and what the expected and received  packet numbers are.  Similarly Metis will light a LED if it misses a packet.

Using KK with Metis at 192ksps I have never seen a missed packet in either direction - in fact I had to deliberately send incorrect packet numbers to check the code was working!

I'm also currently doing some work that involves time stamping the data from Mercury via Metis - again no dropped packets.

The PC has absolutely no idea what the sample rate is of the data it is being sent. It's not acceptable that an SDR can't be used for DRM, SSTV etc - this needs to be investigated and corrected.

73 Phil...VK6APH