[hpsdr] Diversity measurements

wully wully at bluewin.ch
Thu Oct 6 02:14:24 PDT 2011

Hi Joe, hi all

On tuesday, I have made some measurements for diversity. Using an RF
generator, a splitter and two 6dB-attenuators into two mercuries, the
clock of the second one driven by the LVDS-Signal (122.88MHz) from the
first one, by adjusting the phase and amplitude relation to a minimum on
different frequencies, I got the following results:

freq[kHz]        phase        amplitude        in[dBm]    minimum[dBm]
    RF-Gen[dBm]    suppression
7160        175.5                0.5                -58
-110                        -50                        52
7150        -163.5                0.5                -65
-114                        -50                        49
7150        -163.5                0.5                -47
-104                        -40                        57
7150        -93                    0.5                -37
-96                        -30                        59
14180        175.5                0.5                -38
-95                        -30                        57
14181        28.5                0.5                    -37
-98                        -30                        61

Sorry, if the table does not fit good into the mail.

1) suppression is near to 60 dB!
2) when changing the frequency and going back to the same frequency, the
phase for minimum is not reproduced
3) the Input signal has to be big enough, so as to avoid the noise floor
(see second line)

In practice, using a dipol on the first mercury and a lying loop on the
second, both antennas about 5 m from each other (no place to make
spatial separation), I can adjust phase and amplitude such that the
background noise might be reduced, but it depends very strongly on the
current conditions.

Comments are welcome.

73, Alfred, hb9epu