[hpsdr] LRU - Suggestions

John Westmoreland john at westmorelandengineering.com
Sun Oct 23 23:29:19 PDT 2011

Hello All,

First - I know the web site says the LRU is 'temporary' - but I can't be the
only one that has comments regarding the board.

Will the LRU be spun or is the group waiting for the power system (Demeter?)
to be completed for lack of asking this better?

Some LRU suggestions:

Suggestion #1 which I can bet has been suggested before:  Electrolytic +/-
as well as diode markings need to be on silkscreen.

Suggestion #2:  In some places in the doc, as where to put JP1 - it should
plainly state what side of the board you are supposed to be on.

Suggestion #3:  The board is cheaply manufactured - I did some rework and
quite easily removed one of the plated through holes.  The sign of a poorly
manufactured board.

Suggestion #4:  The 'operation' of constructing J1 leaves a lot to be
desired.  I bet it has been a problem area too.

I have read the errata.  Perhaps the LRU has always been meant to be a temp
solution.  More than likely the above has been suggested.

After going though the Atlas build and then the LRU - I think most will
agree it is like night and day.  I hope no one on this list takes any of
this personally.  Overall - it is not a bad effort for a stop gap measure
that was obviously needed.

I am going to try and attend the Friday conf. calls.

73's,
John W.
AJ6BC