[hpsdr] about latency growth with HPSDR

Willi Reppel wi.re at telia.com
Sat Oct 1 07:29:31 PDT 2011

Hi Phil and Riho,
Yes, Kiss seems to be better in handling the data stream over Ethernet compared to the different PowerSDR programs. With Ozy I experienced audio dropouts which are gone after installing Metis. Now the skin of PowerSDR  freezes temporarily and it takes several seconds before it starts moving again, about the same time the PC needs to find Metis on startup. This never happens when using the Kiss console and said freezing may also relate to Phil´s numbering of the data frames, sent in both directions. I tried all possible settings in PowerSDR but could not find one that prevents occasional freezing. Using Kiss, I can set the process priority in Windows Task Manager to "low" and no freezing occurs. Hope my observations help to improve HPSDR-programs.
vy 73 es gl de
SM6OMH  Willi
MS XP 32. AMD Sempron 3400+, 1,81 GHz
Atlas
Metis v1.0 (installed recently)
Mercury v2.9
Penny v1.2
Kiss v1.0.4  Recent KD5TFD & W5WC PowerSDR programs.