[hpsdr] Alex test results

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Sep 3 11:08:07 PDT 2011

I've done network analyzer tests of a production Alex unit.  The data
will probably end up in or linked to the Alex wiki, but there's a first
cut of a web page with plots for each band on RX and TX plus some other
info at http://www.febo.com/pages/alex/index.html .

In summary -- it works.  On the receive path, the worst-case insertion
loss through the system is about 1.5 dB (on 10M).  There is at least 70
dB of RX rejection from 60 MHz through 200 MHz, and more than 90 dB from
75 MHz to 175 MHz.

On TX, the worst-case insertion loss is 0.9 dB (on 6M); below 10M, the
loss is less than 0.5 dB.  Rejection at the 2nd and 3rd harmonic of each
ham band is at least 40 dB except for 30M, where the 2nd harmonic is
about 26 dB down.  30M uses the same LPF as 20M, and the cutoff
frequency is a bit too high for optimum 30M performance.  In-band return
loss is around 20 dB (SWR of 1.25) or better on most bands, though 10M
is more in the 13 - 15 dB range (SWR of 1.6 to 1.4, so still nothing to
worry about).

There is one important thing to note if you want the best rejection of
VHF/UHF signals.  As noted in the Alex instructions, you need to put a
short ground wire between the RX and TX boards, and also from the boards
to enclosure.  If you don't, there is likely to be a "hump" in the
frequency response somewhere between 90 and 130 MHz that could be as
much as 30dB worse than necessary (though you'll still have >50dB
rejection, so it's not the end of the world).  I have details and photos
of how I added the grounding linked to the page above.

Congrats to Graham for the great design, and to Scotty et al for
bringing it to life!

73,
John