[hpsdr] Mercury diversity mode configuration

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sat Sep 3 11:22:57 PDT 2011

Hi Luke,

Very good!

On Sep 3, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Luke Steele wrote:

> At 07:16 PM 14/05/2011 +0800, Phil Harman wrote:
>>
>> A better solution is to feed the 122.88MHz clock from one board to
>> the other
>> via a short twisted pair using the LVDS transceivers on the Mercury
>> board.
>>

> I have a second Mercury card on its way from iQuadLabs.
> Is the 122.88 MHz clock jumpering mentioned above and detailed in
> the HPSDR
> Wiki all I need regarding clock signals?
You will need a 10 MHz clock source for the Mercury boards, of
course.  Mercury has an on-board oscillator but it is best to disable
that by pulling it's power jumper and instead use a common 10 MHz for
both boards from the Atlas bus if you have an Excalibur board to
provide the 10 MHz clock.

> Is an external reference clock to the Atlas bus, such as Excalibur
> also
> required?
Not absolutely, as I mentioned, but it is preferred to do so; the
clock on Excalibur is more accurate than the ones used on the Mercury
board and, if you supply Excalibur with a high accuracy external 10
MHz reference from a rubidium vapor standard or a GPS standard, things
are even better.  Actually, I haven't investigated how the Mercs
behave with the diversity programs if you use the on board 10 MHz
Mercury clocks and don't have a common one; I've always used a common
10 MHz clock as well as a common 122.88 MHz clock.

> What antennae are Diversitites using (for HF)?

Any two antennas you happen to have available will work, to a degree.

To be optimum, the antennas you use depend upon what kind of
"diversity" you are seeking.  For example, if you are wishing to
achieve polarization diversity then you would connect orthogonal
polarization antennas, one to each Mercury.  If, on the other hand,
you wish to achieve "spatial" diversity and perform antenna pattern
steering, you would connect two spatially separated antennas.

FYI, I am currently writing a "steering" PSDR program to allow one to
use two or three identical antennas in a line for directional steering
via the PSDR program.

For starters with the diversity programs you need not have identical
antennas in order to be able to achieve strong nulling and directional
steering functionality.  The "direction" you steer to will be unknown
to you however and not calibrated in this case but using diversity in
this way is still fun to do and provides useful signal nulling/
enhancement capabilities.  Indeed, the "direction" is not shown on the
dual-Mercury program as the program does not have sufficient input
regarding the user's specific antenna system to be able to calculate
the direction of sensitivity in real space; neither does the current
three-Mercury program for that matter.  The next version of PSDR I
post WILL have such calibrated directional capability, though.

> I'm sure I'll have other questions, but the above remain after reading
> through all the messages on the topic this year.
> Regards,
> Luke VK3HJ

Good luck to you!  I'm happy to hear that you're joining this aspect
HPSDR!

73,  Joe K5SO