[hpsdr] K5SO diversity antennas

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 5 17:08:51 PDT 2011

hi Everyone,
There was an antenna question a few days ago I thought I could answer. I have tried a pair of 40 meter delta loops spaced 20 feet apart. They work well from MW to about 15 MHz for beam steering. I'm not sure how well it works off the side but front and rear I get a good null sometimes over 30 dB. I have not tied the 122 MHz clock to one source yet. Then I tried a pair of low noise RX antennas facing east. they are loaded delta loops with 1k load on the west side and a 4:1 BB transformer on the east side with a common mode choke on the coax.) 30 foot long base 15 feet at the apex.) They were spaced about 90 feet apart broadside. Again they worked very well but only off the front to the east for maybe 200 degrees. I could get more stable nulls from this antenna. Off the back side to the west where the antenna null was positioned the beam steering didn't work as expected. I hope Joe gets 3 antennas working. I have been playing with 4 square
 simulation into 4 mercury receivers that looks pretty interesting.  I think a two mercury system could work very well with two antenna systems. A pair of e probes North / South and another East/ West. Two sets of loaded delta loops would also work well. Let's hope Joe can work his magic with three receivers. Frank WA1GFZ