[hpsdr] PowerSDR Gain settings

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 14:27:23 PDT 2011

Hi Paul

I recently replaced Penny with Pennylane. I hadn't rotated T2 on Penny and I could only get about 350mW so the 6dB pad restricted the o/p of Pennywhistle to around 5 or 6W.

When I was using Penny I did just what you suggested and set up separate gain settings for each band.

I rather assumed that Alex would supply the necessary ALC to limit the o/p of my PA via Pennylane/Pennywhistle to 100W but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

I'm not completely sure that the PA transistors are damaged but the indications are such that I believe they are damaged. For instance driving the PA with about 1W causes the PA to draw roughly 15A and produce only 1W o/p. Seems fairly likely they're ex-transistors!

I'll go round the band gain loop again and see what transpires. Then replace the MRF454s.

Thanks

Chris