[hpsdr] Alex Filter Switching Frequencies

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Fri Sep 9 10:04:22 PDT 2011

Hi Phil,

I suggest that we implement #2 (using Lyle's suggested frequencies),
which would fix the "early switching" problem and keep MARS operators happy.

We can then add an additional bit to the C0 command 0b0001001x in bit
6 of byte C2 called

"Alex - Enable manual filter selection independent of frequency
(0=disable, 1=enable)"

Then bytes C3 and C4 can contain the filter selections.  If 16 bits
is not enough, then we can add another C0 command to select the filters.

In the Mercury code, when the "manual filter enable bit" (which is
normally always zero in current implementations) is set high, you
prevent the frequency from selecting the filter.

As long as the "manual filter enable bit" is zero, the manual
selection bits in C3 and C4 (or the selection bits in the additional
C0 command) are ignored and filter selection is done as it is now.

This would allow all existing software to work as-is, but allow new
software (or updates to existing software) to set the filters
manually if desired.

You could even put a button on the software GUI for "auto/manual"
select of the filters.

I can write up an addendum to the USB protocol document to cover this
if that is the direction we decide to go.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI